The UK Green Building Council’s Future Leaders programme brings together ambitious, high-potential professionals from across industry to take part in a unique programme of leadership and innovation.
Our action-focused programme gives tomorrow’s leaders the chance to grapple with the most critical issues that the sector will face in the future, and challenges participants to work collaboratively to address them.
Applications for the 2018 Future Leaders programme are now open.
Details of the programme
The programme prospectus provides full details of the Future Leaders programme and profiles benefits of the programme, for both individuals and their organisations.
Current programme dates
- 31 January - 2 February 2018: Part 1 - Residential
- 19 April 2018: Part 2 - Workshop
- 12 June 2018: Part 3A - Workshop
- 3 July 2018: Part 3B - Group Mastermind and Project Showcase (with senior industry leaders)
- 18 September 2018: Part 4 - Workshop and Leadership Showcase (with the Leaders' Network)
£3499 UK-GBC members / £4999 non-members
We offer one bursary place per programme to an individual from either a not-for-profit member, SME member, or local authority member. In order to be considered for this place, your organisation must be a UK-GBC member - see our membership section for more details on how to sign up.
Who should take part?
The Future Leaders programme is designed specifically for ambitious high-potential professionals (5-15 years experience) working in the built environment. Future Leaders can come from any background from within the built environment sector, and are selected by their enthusiasm to learn, an openness to new ways of thinking, and a desire to challenge current ways of working. It is not by any means a prerequisite to have sustainability in your job title – in fact the diversity of perspectives is crucial to the programme’s success.
The Application Process
- All applications must receive support from a senior leader in their organisation. Usually, this comes in the form of a nomination, but if you are interested in being considered for the programme, you can seek this support yourself.
- Once all applications are received, they are put before a review panel for assessment and a decision will be made within 4 weeks of applications closing. As part of the application process, you may be asked to participate in a short telephone interview.
- We only accept one applicant per organisation. If you have more than one Future Leader you think would be suitable, please do submit multiple applicants for consideration, although be aware that only one can be accepted. (It may be possible that these delegates could be accepted onto an additional programme should we receive enough high quality applications, though we can make guarantee of this).
This course has been the most significant thing I have ever done professionally. The course has challenged, inspired, thought provoked and even scared me more than anything I have ever done before. I will always be incredibly grateful to the UKGBC for creating this programme and to my fellow future leaders on the programme who have just been unbelievable in committing everything of themselves to the course. The easy thing would have been to turn up and go through the motions but no one did, they opened themselves up totally to new ways of thinking and communicating and as a consequence have had a profound affect on my thinking that I will look to replicate and build on, not only professionally but personally too.
Find out more
Key themes covered across this programme include:
- Personal leadership
- Business model development
The programme runs across a 9 month period and is focused around five key learning events:
- Two-day residential programme
- Three innovation labs
- Final project presentation
The programme is delivered in three main streams:
- Innovation Teams: Teams of four or five people working to develop a sustainable business model, with each business model being developed through three innovation labs plus guided learning and group work
- Peer Coaching: A powerful form of peer coaching, delivered via buddy coaching over eight sessions covering leadership topics such as finding creative flow, creating change, creative leadership, decision making etc.
- Personal Leadership Plan: A bespoke personal leadership plan that sets goals against a series of traits and skills, to be followed over the programme and beyond.
By the end of the programme, Future Leaders' will have formalised their personal leadership plan and presented their business model for comment and critique from our industry leaders:
The Future Leaders programme has been developed in collaboration with our delivery partner Switch On Worldwide. Switch On is leadership consultancy - born from a disruptive innovation agency - dedicated to equipping leaders with everything they need to find and seize opportunities for continuous business breakthroughs that create value and drive impact within the Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, Ambiguous, Networked and Stressed (VUCANS) world.
Want to learn and network with others?
Attend a course or event
Our wide range of learning and development courses and events allows members to learn, influence and network with like-minded sustainability professionals from across the built environment industry.View the calendar