Case study on-site learning: One Brighton
In November 2015 UK-GBC (with Bioregional and Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios) took a group of our members around BioRegional’s exemplar sustainable development, One Brighton.
This 172 apartment eco complex with café, community space and offices in the heart of Brighton, was created by applying the principles of One Planet Living to a large residential development but also using the sustainability learnings from the BedZed eco-village, one of the first sustainable residential developments in the UK.
The five years of post occupancy evaluation data indicate this project could be one of the most sustainable urban communities in Europe.
Location: New England Quarter, Brighton, East Sussex
Ratings: BRE Eco Homes 79.9% post construction, BREEAM Excellent for all commercial areas
Developer/client: Bioregional Quintain Ltd and Crest Nicholson PLC
Architect: Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
Principal Contractor: Denne Construction (Now owned by Bouygues Development UK)
Community Energy Services Company: One Brighton Energy Services
- A 67% reduction in operational carbon emissions over the UK’s existing housing stock (calculated at operation stage) – with good potential to achieve a reduction of 89% or more by 2020, approaching the (near) Zero Carbon target for One Planet Communities
- Establishment of a community owned Energy Services Company (ESCO) to bulk purchase guaranteed green electricity (Renewable Energy Guarantee of Origin)
- On a whole carbon lifecycle assessment basis (operational and embodied impacts), One Brighton is achieving a 60% carbon reduction over existing housing stock
- Pouring of greenest concrete frame in UK – post- tensioned concrete comprising 50% ground granulated blast furnace slag (GGBS) and use of 100% secondary aggregates
- First major use of low temperature fired clay block in the UK
- Two-thirds of residents changing to more pro- environmental behaviour based on design and information
- Inspired Brighton and Hove City council and its residents and businesses to become a One Planet City
Want to learn and network with others?
Attend a course or event
Our wide range of learning and development courses and events allows members to learn, influence and network with like-minded sustainability professionals from across the built environment industry.View the calendar