UK-GBC held its first event celebrating sustainability leadership and innovation at BAFTA on 21 October 2014. Titled The Future is Here, the member event saw thought leaders offering their insights into the future of the built environment and sharing inspirational stories of leadership and innovation told through a variety of media, including film.
Future Leaders Programme
UK-GBC's Future Leaders programme was developed to provide a forum for tomorrow's leaders to grapple with the most critical issues that the sector will face in the future, and challenge participants to work collaboratively to address these. The programme focuses on personal leadership, collaborative thinking, business model development, innovation and storytelling.
During the first programme, 25 Future Leaders developed six new and unique business model concepts offering solutions to major challenges in society within their innovation teams. The six projects are:
- Floodfree – a community scale solution to provide an alternative financial mechanism to flood insurance that focuses on flood protection and damage prevention.
- City Smart – a service designed to tackle housing shortages, debt and the high cost of living amongst young professionals living in urban areas through the provision of hassle free accommodation, money management and career boosting opportunities.
- My Community – an intelligent and accessible social network built to create connections and relationships in isolated communities.
- LessonTRADER – an online digital platform to help the building industry learn and profit from mistakes that are made in the design process.
- #LOOP – an online hub which documents the materials used in a building, creating a marketplace for the inherent materials and trading.
- Commute Next Door – an online service which matches organisations that require flexible office space with homeowners who are able and willing to rent out spare rooms.