EVENT: Countdown to COP26: Catalysing occupier action
The operation of buildings accounts for around 30 per cent of the UK’s total carbon footprint, mainly from heating, cooling and electricity use. Additionally, the spaces companies occupy exemplify the values they wish to promote and their action on tackling the climate crisis.
This event is targeted at large corporate occupiers wanting to better understand the role buildings play in delivering emissions reductions and contributing to wider corporate ESG goals.
This event will explore what large corporate occupiers can do to tackle emissions from their owned or occupied buildings, with a specific focus on COP and the Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment.
Some key topics that will be covered include:
- Translating high-level corporate commitments to real estate.
- Importance of buildings – their symbolic role and impact on carbon footprint.
- Occupier challenges and solutions – e.g. lease structures, multi let buildings.
- COP26 – the role of climate commitments from UK businesses.
- Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment – status as a ‘breakthrough’ Race to Zero initiative.
Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment
The Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment has been developed specifically for occupiers wanting to demonstrate leadership on decarbonising their buildings and be a front runner in the UN’s official Race to Zero campaign. The Commitment promotes and inspires action towards the Race to Zero breakthrough outcome of achieving net zero operational carbon buildings by 2030 for all buildings within direct control of the organisation, and advocating for all buildings to be net zero operational carbon by 2050 via core business activities.
- Guy Grainger, Global Head of Sustainability Services & ESG, JLL
- Dan Hanmer, Executive Director, CBRE
- Oliva Cropper, Senior Manager, Sustainability, Property Design, Lloyds Banking Group
- Ollie Light, Director, Carbon Intelligence
- Julie Hirigoyen, CEO, UKGBC
- Karl Desai, Senior Advisor – Advancing Net Zero, UKGBC
Who should attend?
This event will be most suitable for colleagues working in corporate real estate, facilities management, office management, procurement, or sustainability teams – ideally with some level of accountability for the premises occupied by the business entity.
Intended learning objectives, by role:
|Global/Regional Heads of Corporate Real Estate||Understand current and upcoming changes to real estate strategy to embrace the net zero transition.|
|Heads of ESG / Corporate Governance||Understand the role buildings play to deliver against corporate net zero commitments.|
|COO or CFO (with responsibility for CRE)||Understand the importance of buildings as part of a holistic ESG or net zero strategy.|
|Heads of Sustainability||Understand the decision-making process to engage internal stakeholders on net zero buildings.|
UKGBC reserves the right to politely decline RSVPs from those attendees who do not fit the above profile, in order to maintain a focused session. If you do not fit the above profile, please consider attending a sister event happening on the same day – further information here.
With thanks to our event supporters