NEWS: UKGBC opens applications for Biodiversity and Environmental Net Gain (BNG & ENG) Project
The UK Green Building Council (UKGBC) has opened applications to partner on its latest project on Biodiversity and Environmental Net Gain (BNG & ENG). This will run as part of the Resilience & Nature programme which aims to help the built environment adapt to the impacts of climate change, maximise environmental net gains and promote biodiversity.
We are now introducing two different opportunities to get involved in our upcoming BNG & ENG project; offering UKGBC members the chance become Project Partners, or take part in a wider project Review Group. The project aims to assist organisations in taking practical action on Biodiversity and Environmental Net Gain in light of changes to UK legislation in place for November of 2023 which will mandate a 10% biodiversity net gain on all new development. In particular, it hopes to:
- Explore key definitions and terminology in order to ‘demystify’ complex concepts.
- Provide the necessary resources and information to allow the industry to surpass the minimum government standards of Biodiversity Net Gain including exploring a variety existing case study examples at multiple scales.
- Convene organisations who wish to develop their understanding of BNG/ENG concepts and available organisational strategies.
- Highlight the diversity of resources available to facilitate BNG/ENG, outside of traditional understandings and frameworks.
- Ensure the BNG/ENG strategies used on site align with Government Policy changes as part of the Environment Bill and support long-term authentic net positive change.
Applications for Biodiversity and Environmental Net Gain (BNG & ENG) partners are being sought from within the UKGBC membership. We are specifically looking for individuals and organisations with experience and understanding of biodiversity and environmental net gain (BNG & ENG), or a strong background in environmental sciences.
Applications to become Project Partners, or to be a part of the Review Group are open until Monday 10th October, or until we have reached the maximum number of Partners and Review Group members (whichever is soonest).
Access the Call for Biodiversity and Environmental Net Gain Partners document below for more information on the project, and how to apply.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss the opportunity, or to be added to the climate resilience & nature interest group to be alerted of future opportunities.