Urecsys ventilation management
Air pollution is the world’s leading environmental cause of morbidity and mortality, causing 7 million deaths every year (WHO). Air pollution creates many illnesses, such as different types of cancer, cardiovascular diseases, asthma, lung and respiratory diseases, infertility, as well as interfering with foetal development, and increasing infant mortality and birth defects. People spend 90% of their time indoors where exposure to air pollution can have a significant impact on their health and well-being.
Current approaches to the challenge of preventing ambient/urban air pollution from infiltrating buildings are based on filtration technology. However:
- Gaseous components of air pollution – even the most advanced filter (activated carbon) is not able to control it effectively.
- Particulate components of air pollution – even the most advanced filtration systems (used in sanitized clean rooms) cannot fully protect against such pollutants.
Buildings ventilation systems introduce outdoor air throughout the day. This includes the toxic air pollution that may be present in the urban environment surrounding a building. This introduces polluted air into a building in which residents may spend up to 90% of their time, resulting in unavoidable exposure.
Urecsys uses an IoT (Internet of Things) infrastructure, a unique air pollution analysis method with smart machine learning algorithms, in order to control the building’s “breathing” function – it’s HVAC systems. It remotely regulates the BMS in order to reduce the penetration of polluted air into the building, resulting in a drastic air pollution reduction inside buildings of approximately 40%+.
The patent-protected technology uses extensive big-data analysis, machine learning and data-rich scientific algorithms. This includes smart prediction and calculations of the air pollution levels, real-time analysis of air pollution trends, online and historical pollution data, while taking into account unique chemical, physical and health related variables.
Whilst regulating HVAC systems, it optimizes every aspect of the building’s air supply in real time, as well as efficiently utilizing and optimizing the climate control systems of the building. The technology ensures significant energy conservation and GHG emissions reduction as well as full compliance with international standards. The system is fully automated, integrates into buildings of all scales with no maintenance required by customers.
Implementing Urecsys allows for an instant reduction of employee sick-days, heightened productivity and better cognitive functionality of all employees due to the reduction of air pollutants (based on scientific studies and empirical data). The contribution to energy conservation has been proven to be substantial, with 70-80% of customers paying off the installation by energy conservation alone (in accordance with Israeli climate, electricity rate and standard building sizes).
The sustainable benefits are accredited by USGBC, and buildings with installations can garner up to 9 LEED points.
The solution costs $0.18 per SQM per month (about £0.16/SQM/month).
Additional Terms of Urecsys service:
- Cloud based SaaS model service.
- Result analysis & applications.
- No long-term commitment – customers can decide to forfeit the service at anytime.
- Hardware installation – analysers & controller – tablet size (optional according to the building type & BMS).
- Easy integration with new and old structures.
- Timetable for installation: between a few hours to 4 working days.
- ROI by energy conservation alone (based on case studies in Israel) – reduction of approx. 25% – 30% in power consumption of ventilation system.
- Competitive advantages:
- Increases employee’s satisfaction.
- Marketing benefits.
- Promotes wellness.
- Improves building value.
- Advantages over competitors in government tenders.
- Increases employee satisfaction.
- Decreased maintenance costs (such as air duct cleaning).
- Extends the life span of HVAC components.
- Low-cost service (no obligation to a certain timeframe).
- Smart building – Innovative and automatic.
- complies with most rigorous standards.
- smart and optimised balance between various parameters.
- one stop shop for all air quality issues.
- fully automatic technology – constant quality control over the indoor air.
Intel IDC9, Haifa, Israel
The service was installed in December 2021 and continues to operate.
- Onsite Ambient Air Pollution Monitoring Station – 2 analysers measuring outdoor levels of NOx & O3, + 2 analysers measuring indoor levels (data collection every 15 seconds).
- Meteorological station measuring outdoor climate conditions (temperature, relative humidity, UV, wind speed and direction, etc.).
- Advanced Unipi CO2 + light + humidity + temperature sensors outdoors & indoors.
- Reducing hazardous ambient air pollution levels inside the building.
- WHO Medically Significant Daily Average NO2 Threshold (25 µg/m3): reduction of 55.7%.
- British Regulation Annual Average NO2 Threshold (40 µg/m3): reduction of 70.4%.
- Sending instructions to HVAC systems with feedback & data collection.
- Results: Successfully interfacing with the existing BMS, sending instructions and receiving the relevant feedback from the system + receiving data collected by the optional on-site hardware.
- Generating Accurate IAQC (Indoor Air Quality Calculator).
- Results: Generating an accurate real-time prediction of indoor air pollution levels based on data gathered from the building’s surrounding – within 10% variance.