CASE STUDY: Western Power Distribution depot
Western Power Distribution (WPD) depot
Western Power Distribution, B3 Architects, Speller Metcalfe, BC (Roofing Contractors) Ltd, Tata Steel
|Size||650 sq. m|
Advancing net zero
Net Zero Carbon
The Western Power Distribution depot at Spilsby incorporates a warehouse area and associated office and ancillary accommodation. It achieved a world-first final BREEAM score thanks to a clear commitment from the client and project team to design and deliver a highly sustainable, low carbon building whilst also ensuring an excellent working environment is provided for all occupants.
- Achieved a BREEAM Outstanding rating of 101.9%, post completion, making it the world’s highest rated BREEAM project at the time.
- WPD Spilsby has also been assessed by the Considerate Constructors Scheme which ranked it in the top 5% of construction sites assessed in the UK.
- Achieved a top environmental award with an Energy Performance Rating of -2, which means it’s more efficient than a fully carbon neutral building.
- Using standardised specification methods developed as a result of working on nearly 40 depots for WPD has enabled B3 Architects to create a library of specific BIM component families and design processes.
- A ‘fabric first’ approach to provide excellent U-value and airtightness.
- A long-lasting, air-tight envelope to help reduce the operating costs of the building includes Trisomet® composite panels for the roof and walls, with its energy efficient liner. As well as being robust, quick to fit and cost-effective, the panels have a PIR core which provides the desired high level of insulation which contributes to the BREEAM Outstanding rating.
- The panel system features Colorcoat® High Reflect pre-finished steel liner which is designed to provide at least 85% reflectance.
- Both the Colorcoat® pre-finished steel products used and the Trisomet® composite panels are certified ‘Very Good’ to BES 6001, obtaining the maximum number of credits available in the Responsible Sourcing of Materials sections of BREEAM for materials that are not being re-used.
- Innovative Active heat / energy generation. Data monitoring over 2 years.
For further Information:
Colorcoat Connection® helpline
T: +44 (0) 1244 892434