Race To Zero
UKGBC is calling for all its members to join the UNFCCC-backed Race To Zero campaign
Race To Zero is a global campaign to rally climate leadership from non-state actors – ie businesses, cities, regions, universities and investors – for a healthy, resilient, zero carbon recovery that prevents future threats, creates decent jobs and unlocks inclusive, sustainable growth. All organisations recognised by Race To Zero are committed to the same overarching goal: halving emissions by 2030 and achieving net zero emissions as soon as possible and by 2050 latest.
UKGBC is contributing to the Race To Zero by driving our members to join the campaign. We are excited to help accelerate the Race.
Our members include critical actors such as businesses, investors, regions, cities and universities – all of whom will be critical to inspire confidence that Government should follow suit. Race To Zero partners cover each and every one of these stakeholder groups and by signing up to one or more of these initiatives, UKGBC members will be officially recognized in Race To Zero.
The following initiatives provide a route for individual organisations/entities to join the growing movement towards Race To Zero:
- Investors are invited to contact: Net-Zero Asset Owners Alliance
- Businesses are invited to contact: Business Ambition for 1.5 C – Our Only Future, The Climate Pledge and Exponential Roadmap Initiative
- Small and Medium-sized enterprises are invited to contact: SME Climate Hub
- Certified B Corporations are invited to contact: B Corporation
- Chambers of Commerce are invited to contact the International Chamber of Commerce Chambers Climate Coalition
- Cities are invited to contact: Deadline 2020, Science Based Targets for Cities and ICLEI- Local Governments for Sustainability
- Regions/States are invited to contact: Under2Coalition
- Universities are invited to contact: Global Universities and Colleges for the Climate, Second Nature
See full list of ways to join the Race To Zero here.
From May 2021 onwards, UKGBC will now be expecting Gold Leaf members to join the Race To Zero by making a pledge to halve emissions by 2030 and achieve net zero emissions as soon as possible, and by 2050 latest.
UKGBC will also be recommending that all its members target action on their own buildings by signing up to the WorldGBC’s Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment. The NZCB Commitment itself is a frontrunner initiative to the Race To Zero so signatories to the Commitment will be demonstrating their actions to go further, faster to accelerate the race to zero emissions by 2050.