Advancing Net Zero
The Paris Climate Agreement represented a turning point in efforts to tackle climate change, with a commitment to limit increases in global temperatures well below 2ºC and decarbonise the global economy by the second half of this century. To meet this challenge the World Green Building Council (WorldGBC) launched the global Advancing Net Zero campaign which aims to promote and support the acceleration of net zero carbon buildings to 100% by 2050.
UKGBC launched its Advancing Net Zero programme in 2018 to help drive this transition in the UK and deliver the emissions reductions required from the construction and property sectors. This page provides a list of upcoming projects in 2021/22, resources currently available, and ways to get involved in the programme.
Our plans for 2021-22
In 2021/22, the programme will accelerate its ambition to lead the UK’s transition to a net zero carbon built environment in the lead up to, and following, COP26. This includes growing the number of corporate Partners from 5 to 15 to include a wider representation from across the building value chain, listed at the bottom of page.
To achieve these increasing ambitions, projects will be delivered under the following four workstreams:
- Net zero carbon buildings definition – including further strengthening of UKGBC’s Framework Definition, such as through supporting energy performance targets and exploring potential routes for a net zero carbon buildings verification scheme.
- Delivery enablers – including a net zero cost evaluation study for large-scale housing developments and local authority policy guidance.
- Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment – including building market demand for net zero buildings and catalysing broader market transformation.
- Advocacy – including in the run-up to COP26 and beyond with the Whole Life Carbon Roadmap.
To learn more about our COP plans, submit an entry to our Built Environment Directory, or to let us know about a relevant campaign, initiative or event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Net zero carbon buildings definition
- Net Zero Carbon Buildings Framework Definition
- Renewable Energy Procurement and Carbon Offsetting Guidelines
- Energy Performance Targets for Offices
- Verifying Net Zero Carbon Buildings
- Net Zero Carbon Buildings Verification – Market Analysis
- Net Zero Operational Carbon: 10 key requirements for new buildings
- Building the Case for Net Zero: A feasibility study into the design, cost and delivery of new net zero carbon buildings
- Unlocking the Delivery of Net Zero Carbon Buildings
- Innovation Insights: Reducing operational carbon
- One Click LCA Planetary Tool
- Course mail
- Case studies
Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment
- WorldGBC Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment
- Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment Forum
- Climate Commitment Platform
- Scope 3 Reporting Guidance for Commercial Real Estate
Other ways to get involved:
- Sign up to the Advancing Net Zero mailing list* by emailing ANZ@ukgbc.org.
- Sign up for Course Mail Series 5 – Advancing Net Zero.
- Join our Climate Commitment Platform* by emailing email@example.com.
- Submit a case study to our case study library* by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please note that the items marked with an asterisk are for UKGBC members only. For more information on becoming a member, please visit our membership page.
Other relevant UKGBC resources:
- Net Zero Whole Life Carbon Roadmap: To be alerted to future opportunities relating to the WLC Roadmap, please contact email@example.com.
- Interactive Policy Map
- Retrofit Policy Playbook (Accelerator Cities Programme)
- Building a Just Transition to Net Zero (Social Value programme)
If you have any questions, would like to provide feedback on the Advancing Net Zero programme or have an interesting case study to share, please email ANZ@ukgbc.org.